About Graham Clarkson

Born & brought up in Marshside, I started birding there in the mid 1970s & made my first birding trip to Martin Mere in 1977. I've lived, worked & birdied in Abu Dhabi, Northern Ireland & Gloucestershire & I've spent time working in Kazakhstan & Madagascar. I enjoy birding my various West Lancashire patches, making frequent birding visits throughout the north-west of England and North Wales. I stray elsewhere in the UK & enjoy birding abroad from time to time. I'm particularly interested in wildfowl (especially pink-footed geese) with an interest in waders & raptors, bird counts & surveys & conservation. I'm trying to get the hang of photography & digiscoping - I'll get there eventually.

My degree from Edge Hill University is in conservation biology. I've guided on numerous birding days out & trips & guided birding holidays to Lesvos, Andalucia, Extremedura, Majorca, Camargue, Hungary, Finland & Florida. I enjoy showing people birds & habitats & helping them learn more about birds & enjoy birding. I'm currently involved with the Birdwatching and Beyond course at Edge Hill and a brand new venture; Skein Birding.

As well as birding I'm interested in captive breeding & reintroduction projects & zoos, how they're managed & how they contribute to conservation. I'm a proud Lancastrian & love the Lancashire countryside & landscapes. I'm an Evertonian & also keep up with what's happening at Southport, PNE & Bristol Rovers. Gardening, dogs (I have a Labrador & a Tibetan Terrier) and keeping chickens (especially Marsh Daisys & Scots Dumpy Bantams). Ruth & I have two marvellous boys who both love nature too. I hope you find the blog and subjects covered interesting; please feel free to leave a comment.

Friday 10 August 2012

Rimmer's Pec

Bumped into Jacko late this afternoon who'd had a look  from Nel's hide and mentioned seeing nothing more than a couple of Ruff. I thought it worth having a look anyway, so I did. Things intially looked fairly uneventful with four Ruff (two males, two juvs), a juv Dunlin, a Ringed Plover and about 20 Snipe on show. While inspecting the Ruff a small yellow-legged wader ambled along, which on closer inspection turned out to be a Pectroal Sandpiper - bonus! I texted several locals and stuck the news on the Ribble Estaury Nature facebook page and Tony Baker, Playful Pete, Jacko, Neill Hunt, Colin Bushell and Jonny Platt all turned up and had views of the birds (I'm sure Neill and Colin will have got better pics than my poor effort below - have a look on Colin's excellent Ribble to Amazon blog). A nice end to a sunny Marshside afternoon.

Pectoral Sandpiper, Rimmer's marsh, RSPB Marshside. 10/08/12.

Barry McCarthy is hoping the pec sticks around for the bioblitz event that's happening at Marshside this weekend. I hope so too, the more people that come and enjoy Marshside's wildlife the better. 



No comments:

Post a Comment