About Graham Clarkson

Born & brought up in Marshside, I started birding there in the mid 1970s & made my first birding trip to Martin Mere in 1977. I've lived, worked & birdied in Abu Dhabi, Northern Ireland & Gloucestershire & I've spent time working in Kazakhstan & Madagascar. I enjoy birding my various West Lancashire patches, making frequent birding visits throughout the north-west of England and North Wales. I stray elsewhere in the UK & enjoy birding abroad from time to time. I'm particularly interested in wildfowl (especially pink-footed geese) with an interest in waders & raptors, bird counts & surveys & conservation. I'm trying to get the hang of photography & digiscoping - I'll get there eventually.

My degree from Edge Hill University is in conservation biology. I've guided on numerous birding days out & trips & guided birding holidays to Lesvos, Andalucia, Extremedura, Majorca, Camargue, Hungary, Finland & Florida. I enjoy showing people birds & habitats & helping them learn more about birds & enjoy birding. I'm currently involved with the Birdwatching and Beyond course at Edge Hill and a brand new venture; Skein Birding.

As well as birding I'm interested in captive breeding & reintroduction projects & zoos, how they're managed & how they contribute to conservation. I'm a proud Lancastrian & love the Lancashire countryside & landscapes. I'm an Evertonian & also keep up with what's happening at Southport, PNE & Bristol Rovers. Gardening, dogs (I have a Labrador & a Tibetan Terrier) and keeping chickens (especially Marsh Daisys & Scots Dumpy Bantams). Ruth & I have two marvellous boys who both love nature too. I hope you find the blog and subjects covered interesting; please feel free to leave a comment.

Sunday 12 January 2014

Arundel flood part II

The first pint of seafarers went down well and I was joined by my former RSPB and current WWT colleague for a couple of beers in Arundel. We scooted off to the Red Lion and enjoyed a couple of Dark Stars and something nice by Arundel brewery. 

Dave doing his best David Stott impersonation

The actual Red Lion

That was that. Always good to catch up with Dave - top man!

Friday started in mixed fashion, I fancied a change and dodged the full English and with unusual reserve selected eggs Benedict. A great surprise when it turned up garnished with cress. What's that all about? Tasty though...

A cress garnished eggs Benedict 

A quick walk before visiting the reserve again was certainly productive. The first distraction was a gorgeous Sussex Spaniel down Mill Road. 

Sussex Spaniel (in Sussex....)

A brief look at the local flooding and a dash around the side of Swanbourne Lake followed. 

Arundel castle from Mill Road



Three photos from along Mill road in Arundel showing the flooding. 

The lush insides of the 'hangar' adjacent to Swanbourne lake. I heard at least four Marsh Tits calling in there. 

View from inside the hangar looking out

The Arundel WWT visitor centre from the car park

Drake Scaly-sided Merganser

Drake Common Scoters displaying

Arundel cathedral

Arundel Castle

Castle & Cathedral

No comments:

Post a Comment